Rockabilly & Kustom Kulture Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Newstead Antique Centre + other retro/vintage shops

4 posters

Go down

Newstead Antique Centre + other retro/vintage shops Empty Newstead Antique Centre + other retro/vintage shops

Post by My Little Rockabilly Kat Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:15 am

I don't know if it depends on where a antique store is situated - by the quality of the stock they sell- I guess it does..

Each weekend, when we don't have a show to sell at, we have decided to go hunting around all the stores looking for bargains
first we wen't to cleveland antique centre, i was eager to see the vintage clothing they had, so we headed up stairs
All the clothing was marked wrong, im no expert, but a bright purple taffeta shoulder padded dress to me is 1980's..not 1950's. and a price of $85.00 was a bit exxy then i tried on a 60's shift dress that was $28.00 (too small) that was marked 1980's, they were a little lost and the prices didn't follow.
i have learnt to tell what year/era clothing comes from by 3 things. the zipper and the label and the fabric.
Very Happy
We continued through the store, it was one of those large antique centres where they lease off cabinets to people so there was a bit of everything.
I looked in a cabinet full of brooches and every single one said 'Old Brooch' then there was a picture of a desoto on the wall and it said 'old car' then a table 'old table'.
ahha, i couldn't help but think.. when people go in to get things valued, will the store owner just look at it and go. "yep its old" and the person will just be like "well i knew that, thats why im in an antique centre, but how much is it worth" store owner "well because its old, its worth $20.00 but if it were really old $50.00
Then we visited the newstead antique centre, in a stunning red brick old wool shed from 1927. As soon as you walk in, you just know, they know what they are talking about.

I picked up a 1950's dress that was labelled 1950's, some lucite earrings for $4.00 (bargain) and a few other bits and bobs. The only thing was (god bless their hearts) the 2 old men running the place couldn't hear or understand us, and the other young couple that were waiting in line to pay sorta had a giggle between us.

How we found out about all these stores, is an antiques & art magazine you can pick up free at one these places..the next adventure, to woolloongabba we shall visit you the zed!

Anyone know of any shops around the place?
oh and ive decided Wynnum is where my first home will be, yep..yep yep
Razz
My Little Rockabilly Kat
My Little Rockabilly Kat
Admin

Number of posts : 680
Registration date : 2008-10-23

https://rockabillyaustralia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Newstead Antique Centre + other retro/vintage shops Empty Re: Newstead Antique Centre + other retro/vintage shops

Post by emily Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:34 am

the antique place on stanley street (gabba) has some pretty interesting stuff but it's a bit over priced (well the stuff that i was looking at when i went there last) and there's a lifeline next door but they usually don't really have anything vintage, just crap that no one wants. but usually in places like that you'll find a one off good thing.

theres a lifeline mega store in loganholme along the highway (near the hyperdome) and that place is has some interesting stuff. i havent seen any clothing pre 80's era but elsje found some vintage versace jeans (2 pairs!) and the prettiest faux fur coat. and that place is huge you can get lost in there for ages! there's also a salvos mega store in beenleigh, apparently that place has the best stuff, i really want to check it out. my mate found a vintage pin stripe suit there for $40, that was the whole set too.
emily
emily

Number of posts : 95

http://www.myspace.com/133568770

Back to top Go down

Newstead Antique Centre + other retro/vintage shops Empty Re: Newstead Antique Centre + other retro/vintage shops

Post by Ebony Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:49 am

urgh I threw out 8 huge bags of faux fur's.
Honestly though your best places are always the op shops and garage sales, thats where alot of the antique stores buy 90% of their stuff anyway.

I couldn't fathom paying more than $10 for a piece of vintage clothing!
Ebony
Ebony

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post by My Little Rockabilly Kat Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:52 am

crazy! haha, i used to be like that, its very hard finding good vintage up here in op shops
i recently have been paying $30- 200 dollars for a dress
but i do trades with a fella at the retro shop
My Little Rockabilly Kat
My Little Rockabilly Kat
Admin

Number of posts : 680

https://rockabillyaustralia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorilla Biscuit Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:08 am

I swapped some wintage pants & a shirt that i got for a couple of bux For a nallyware canister set & nallyware cake,cokie containers with a woman who owns a store.

Picked up a 40s japanese music jewlery box for $4 at lifeline at paddo.
was cheering.

Wintage stores chrage waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much, It can catch people off guard who dont know what they're looking for.
What gets to me is when they advertise a shitty 80's 90's item & say that it is O.G 1950s.
Gorilla Biscuit
Gorilla Biscuit

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2009-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by emily Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:13 am

yeah garage sales are the best. and roadside collections!
emily
emily

Number of posts : 95

http://www.myspace.com/133568770

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum