Rockabilly & Kustom Kulture Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you A Dangerous Dame?

Go down

Are you A Dangerous Dame? Empty Are you A Dangerous Dame?

Post by andrew666 Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:02 pm

They wear pencil skirts or cuffed jeans, seamed stockings, high heels and gloves.

But the hair is more 1940s than 1950s – rolls, bangs and curls, even headscarves. Then there are 21st century elements to add to the allure such as tattoos and piercings.

They are the Dangerous Dames and you can contact them, join them even on MySpace and Facebook.

Are you A Dangerous Dame? Juvenile-delinquent-dress-red

Several members recently met with a Yuma Sun, New Mexico reporter to explain their interests. They included Valerie Rodriguez, 29, Christina Sterebe, 29, Brittany Hicks, 22, and “Audrey Swoon,” 33.

The ladies created the foundation of the club about a year ago and it has now spread worldwide.

“We had been attending the same rockabilly shows at The Pub in downtown Yuma,” Swoon said.

“We were friends for a while and we decided to put together a social group and hang out and do good things,” Rodriguez said.

“Also, the boys wouldn't let us join their car clubs. We won't mention names,” Swoon joked, laughing.

Are you A Dangerous Dame? Polka-dot-wiggle-dress

What is required for membership of the club is an alter ego name, and the members have adopted some pretty cool nicknames. Rodriguez is “Lucy Dee Sire,” Sterebe is “Ms. Dee Meanor,” Hicks is “Lilly Mae” and Swoon is simply “Audrey” as in Audrey Hepburn.

Swoon is a big fan of the “Breakfast at Tiffany's” actress. She adores old movies starring Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe. She is fascinated with the fashions of Edith Head, the best-known Hollywood costume designer of her day, a career that spanned the '40s, '50s and '60s.

“I was always a little bit off, a little bit different," says Swoon, "I went more for the classic pinup look. I became interested because of the fashion, the hair'”

Swoon's also a fan of Jackie Kennedy. “She was real classy," she confirms, "Everyone else when I was a teenager was grungy, with ripped up jeans. I wanted to be more classy.”

Rodriguez noted that their vintage style gets them a lot of compliments, especially from older people.

“They'll say, ‘I remember when I wore my hair like that, I remember when I had a car like that.'”

Are you A Dangerous Dame? Capri-black

The Dangerous Dames also started the club “as a necessity,” Swoon said. “We're older, we have jobs and responsibility. We're not ready to jaunt to San Diego to see a band.”

Members are all busy moms with “regular” jobs, from baristas and cashiers to dental assistants and stay-at-home moms.

But they still craved “something to do” so the club began to host shows and invited bands to perform.

“Many bands go between Phoenix and San Diego and so they can stop here,” Swoon said.

andrew666

Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum