Rockabilly & Kustom Kulture Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Pinstriper

+5
Chippieleigh
mudflap
neale
hewey
Gidget
9 posters

Go down

New Pinstriper Empty New Pinstriper

Post by Gidget Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:27 am

I'm new to this forum, but was really hoping I could get some advice from any Australian pinstripers or kustom kulture artists out there. I've been painting pin-ups for as long as I can remember, but have only been pinstriping for little over a year. I haven't pulled lines on anything other than purses, bowling pins and whatever I have that sits still long enough but I've been fairly dedicated to learning as much as I can about this amazing art. I've only just started to become confident enough with what little ability I have as a novice striper to continue on. Being that I live in Perth, it's been an uphill struggle to find tools - paint, brushes, reducers - everything. I know that there's a certain level of improvisation necessary with anything, but traditional methods don't seem to exist much in this state - if you ask at a sign writing or auto shop about paint or brushes, they'll mostly look at you strange and point you in the direction of vinyl tape.

What I'd love to find out is, does anyone know where I can order some 1-Shot paint from? I was lucky enough to score some a while back, but it seems really hard to get a hold of. I don't know if that's yet another delightful quirk that comes with living in WA, or if I'm overlooking someplace. The trouble is, I don't really know anyone to ask. I found an online store in NSW, but it was insanely expensive - five quarter pint cans and postage comes in at around $300. I'm trying Ebay at the moment, which is much, much cheaper but I don't yet know if the company stocking it will ship hazardous materials. Does anyone know if you can find it in Perth, or have it ordered in through somewhere?

I really hope someone can point me in the right direction - I don't want to keep using boring house-paint enamels! Any information would be greatly appreciated. Smile
Gidget
Gidget

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

New Pinstriper Empty Re: New Pinstriper

Post by hewey Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:22 pm

Hey, first of all welcome cheers Secondly, post some of your pinup paintings! bounce

As far as One Shot the two best places I have found are

Johns Rod and Kustom. They used to sell One Shot but its not listed on their website under pinstriping, maybe give them a call?
http://kustoms.com.au/osc/index.php?cPath=23

or Supply One signwriting supplies
http://www.supply1.com.au/

I'd also strongly reccomend checking out this thread full of helpful tech links for pinstripers
http://www.sketchkult.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1110
hewey
hewey

Number of posts : 412
Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by neale Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:35 am

Good to hear some people still keen on traditional Pinstriping.

As a signwriter myself its sad to see the trade going digital. But no one wants to pay for the time involved in traditional signwriting. In a modern world its more of a niech market.

I use
Rob from Rolls Liner Supplies
Camden, NSW (02) 4655 5333
Postal Address
PO Box 755, Camden NSW 2570, Australia

I know hes in NSW but he is very helpful, can get anything & Im sure he will post interstate. Plus he is pretty good with his prices.
neale
neale

Registration date : 2011-01-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gidget Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:48 pm

Oh, thank you both for all the information! It's hard enough learning how to pinstripe but so far, I'd say getting the equipment to progress has been much harder!

I found Supply One, they were the real expensive place I mentioned. It ain't like I don't want to spend the cash, I'll order through them if I can't find anywhere else, but everything seems so haphazardly priced on their website. Never heard of Johns Rod and Kustom or the Rolls Liner Supplies store though - I'll give both a call and find out. Thanks also for the link to the thread, there's some ideas on there I'd never even considered before!

While I'm about it, here's an example of some of my pinstriping. It's a purse made from sparkle vinyl. I'm a huge fan of the more clean looking, traditional 50's lines and designs. I can't say I've got any particular style of my own yet - to be honest, I'm still loosely basing my work off others that I've seen. Some of the enamel scraped off after I accidentally scratched it with my nails – a combination of stupidity and bad paint, I guess - so I should put some clear kind of epoxy stuff to protect it with on the shopping list also!

New Pinstriper 23225_stripes

As for the pin-up gals, here's a recent one I painted using a small palette of said house brand enamels. It's not finished yet, as it's only a tester for a design I'm working on - the little details are lacking and there's a bad case of zombie eyes goin' on, but I like it enough so far. I love more traditional looking pin-ups and those muted, vintage colours - which the scanner sadly washed out. And of course, I based it upon an image of the Queen herself, Bettie Page. I guess that's overdone and seen as par for the course, but I can't help but dig. Smile

New Pinstriper 23305_gal1

Thanks again, if anywhere else regarding 1-Shot comes to mind please don't hesitate to drop me a line!
Gidget
Gidget

Back to top Go down

Post by mudflap Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:05 am

some nice work there gig I dotn have an artistic bone in my body so its great for me to watch people develo their skils
mudflap
mudflap

Registration date : 2008-10-25

Back to top Go down

Post by hewey Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:35 am

You can buy One Shot a lot cheaper in the states, the problem is getting postage on it to Australia as its deemed a hazardous good. So you have to pay to buy it from a local shop, who buys it from an Australian distributor, who buys it from the states – so you’re paying markups at each stage! On the flip side its worth remembering that One Shot is proper professional quality sign writing paint – you cant buy better paint for pinstriping!

House of Kolor also have their own brand of pinstriping paint, the local auto parts store near me can get it in. However that is ridiculously priced, and makes the One Shot look cheap in comparison! The advantage of HoK is that it can be cleared over, so its great for something like pinstriping some flames and then covering the whole lot in clear. You cannot clear over One Shot, it will make it wrinkle and crack and come off.

That purse looks fantastic! Nice clean lines, good symmetry and nice consistent line thickness. In terms of the paint pealing off, the thing to remember is that the purse vinyl is super smooth – the surface is that smooth the paint has issues getting any ‘grip’ on it and will come off easily. One Shot will probably be better, but I reckon its still at risk of coming off if it gets scraped. In regards to clearing over it, see above comments about clearing over One Shot.

Neat pin up painting too! Nice work, be sure to post more.
hewey
hewey

Registration date : 2008-11-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Gidget Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:38 am

Thanks for the nice words. Smile I'm a harsh critic of my own work, but the important thing is I'm seeing improvement every week.

Wow, I didn't know 1-Shot couldn't be cleared over? They have a list of clear coats and primers about as long as my arm, but I didn't realise inter-mixing between brands was a no-go.

As for House of Kolor, that ain't even heard of around here! It seems a lot of the auto shops I've been into aren't at all interested in ordering from any eastern states suppliers. I found out a while back that there was an Ed Roth brand of paint in the US, with typically Rat Fink-ish slime green colours available. I'd love to try that but given that most places in WA have barely heard of a brand that's been around since 1948, I could be waiting a while...

There was an amazing pinstriper from Perth called Ben Lander - I never knew the cat but I credit him for indirectly getting me into it after seeing what I think was his massively striped up Dodge wagon out at gigs all the time. He moved to Melbourne a few years back. I think I'm starting to realise perhaps why - pinstriping barely exists out here.

Gidget
Gidget

Back to top Go down

Post by Chippieleigh Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:20 am

Hi Gidget, I'm from Perth aswell & have also found it tricky to get suplies for striping. I bought a starter kit from Armadale auto parts a couple years ago but don't recall if they stock One shot but they do have a good range of cleaners ,solvents etc. their on
Gillam drive in Kelmscot. Qualsign in Bayswater is a large sign writers suply, they had one shot paints, hot/ cold reducers and lots of other good gear, they even had a few mack striping brushes too www.qualsign.com.au. I've also had a bit of a chat to a local striper Tony Von Kustard who is real keen to show anyone intrested a few tips, anyone at Armadale auto parts should be able to put you in touch with Tony. heres a great pin stripe forum to check out too, tons of great artists with some truely incredable ideas, I spend hours looking through it . http://www.pinheadlounge.com/
hpefully I've helped you out a bit. hope to see you striping at a rod show soon.
Chippieleigh
Chippieleigh

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Gidget Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:16 am

Hi, thanks for the pointers - glad to know I ain't alone! I've heard of Tony and seen his work before, it'd be great to ask him a few questions.

I too, am a sucker for the pinhead lounge! I tend not to bother with the internet a great deal, but my striping improved drastically after I started frequenting the place. It's the best source of inspiration I've ever come across.

I'd never been to Armadale Auto Parts until after they hosted a gig and car show there a few months back. I've got a decent range of brushes and reducers now but if they can get paint in, I'd be real interested. Guess I'll be getting down there soon enough to find out. I found Qual Sign and bought some 00 Macks and some 1-Shot reducers from there a while ago - they said they hadn't had any paint in for years, but it might still be good to check back again.

Haha, I think seeing myself striping up rods is still a long ways off yet but thanks for all your help. So far I'm content with striping for personal customised pleasure while I learn the ropes, but that'd definitely be something to aim for. I've been doing okay on my own, but sometimes it's been akin to fumbling around in the dark without an idea of what to do. Seriously, it's truly comforting to know that there are people in this town interested enough in this to be able to pass down some wisdom.
Gidget
Gidget

Back to top Go down

Post by 57buick Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:12 am

For someone just starting out your stuff is fantastic. I am hoping to try my hand at pinstriping as well. My computer tower case will most likely be my test piece! best of luck with your art and hope to see some more!
57buick
57buick

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2010-12-21

http://www.flickr.com/photos/octopus7/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pinstriping Assassin Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi Gidget
Thats some great work for a beginner.
You dont have to use one shot, any quality enamel is fine. I've been signwriting and pinstriping for more years than I care to remember and have never used the stuff. Theres no rule book.
Experiment and enjoy.
Rob.
The Pinstriping Assassin
The Pinstriping Assassin

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-10-27

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gidget Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:20 pm

Thanks 57buick! Do it! It's damn neat when you start to see the countless hours of practice pay off!

Thanks for the words, Pinstriping Assassin. Man, I've seen your work around the traps - that's a hell of a compliment coming from someone of your talent. I don't pay much mind to brand names but I did find One Shot the easiest to play with out of the small range of enamels I've tried. Is there any particular brand of enamels you'd recommend, quality wise?
Gidget
Gidget

Back to top Go down

Post by The Pinstriping Assassin Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Thank you for the compliments Gidget. I just usually use the Solver brand of enamels. Easy to get plus they come in a variety of colours and cover quiet well.
The only paint (or ink to any screenprinters out there) that will stick to vinyl is Plastisolve or vinyl ink. I've used this to do scroll work on Harley Davidson drive belts for one client.
Keep us updated with any future projects.
Rob.
The Pinstriping Assassin
The Pinstriping Assassin

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-10-27

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gidget Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Sure thing, I'll definitely post back with my development. I'm glad to have any objective opinions. Compliments aside, it's real swell to have some input from a pro-striper like yourself, Rob. Thanks again. I know it's probably all the incredulousness of youth and naivety talking, but it seems pinstriping really is something like a big itch that's just beggin' to be scratched!

I won't pass by Solver in future but that said, I ended up saving my pennies and ordered some One Shot through Supply One as they offer free shipping for orders over $250. I also found some One Shot vinyl primer so I'm hanging out to see how well it works. Apart from that, it'll be so nice to have some paint under my nails again soon! Well, it ain't so nice to have grubby gal hands when one wants to look nice, but you know what I mean... Very Happy
Gidget
Gidget

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:34 am

Hey guys, Im only new to the forum today. I saw this thread when i was seraching for one shot paint myself. I was buying from Supply One but they have gone into liquidation and to the best of my knowledge were the importers and distributers of One Shot. So no more one shot till a new importer/distributer is allocated. Lead to believe this may be Johns Rod and Custom, so we can only wait with baited breath as to what they a re going to charge.
Iv'e only been striping since the start of this year and I too have been using other brands of enamels and a few weeks ago went to a auto paint shop nd got the fella to mix me up some paint with a larger amount of binder in it. Works awesome coming into summer as it starts to become more fluid in hotter wether and i don't need to use reducer in some instances. I also have a mate overe here in NSW that uses acrylic..... don't shoot me..... but he is a quality striper and hasn't used enamel for years. Like assassin said, there is no rules.... each to there own i guess.
Ill post some of my work up here when i get a chance also
Matt
Matt

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:32 am

Hi again. Just found today that there is a new distributer of 1 Shot pants in Melbourne. They are on Facebook. 1shotaustralia.com
Matt
Matt

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by GAV BLACK Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:32 pm

hi all , yes the new distributor will be 'kustom lane gallery' in melbourne for all ya stripin gear..they wont have stock untill mid december when first shipment arrives.
If anyone in NEWCASTLE AREA wants any guitars cars or whatever striped send me an email ! or go to GAV BLACK on facebook
business66@optusnet.com.au
New Pinstriper TUKSIXSTRIPES-GBOX-CHROMEFEST018

GAV BLACK

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-10-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum