Pomade...What ya using?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pomade...What ya using?

Post by PaulG on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:53 am

Pomade's. What ya using? Ive used them all, some great, some bad, some leave you feelin like your using a pillow made from margarine...

What have you used to get it out? Ive used dish washing liquid or shampoo dry first, yet I have not found the wonder method.

I like Layrite, water based, washes out no fuss, you just go through it really fast. Murrays is my Fav but dam hard to get out!

PaulG

Number of posts : 187
Reputation : 3
Points : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by falzoony on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:00 am

According to wikipedia,
"It can be easily removed using a special shampoo or other de-greasers such as olive oil, dish washing liquid and lemon juice."
avatar
falzoony

Number of posts : 120
Age : 27
Location : Adelaide
Reputation : 0
Points : 157
Registration date : 2009-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by PaulG on Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:40 am

Ive also heard Coke also does the trick......
I dunno what you would be thinking to even try Coke? cyclops

PaulG

Number of posts : 187
Reputation : 3
Points : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by Flathead Kustoms on Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:07 am

Yep, I'm using Layrite at the moment too, the strong hold one, but definitely going through it waaay to fast, and I only use cheap crappy gel when at work (gotta wear a hard hat whilst on site = bad hair/ no pomp), plus I think the missus is swiping some on the odd occassion (hey, if Sabina Kelley uses it, then my missus can use mine!)
avatar
Flathead Kustoms

Number of posts : 170
Age : 38
Location : Morayfield Qld
Reputation : 0
Points : 91
Registration date : 2008-10-24

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=590892637

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by FCCOOL on Mon May 10, 2010 4:43 am

sometimes i just use gel, sometimes i use murrays in a orange tin, with the murrays alot of people say they cant wash it out, i try to keep it in all week by diluting the shampoo or not washing often and usually have to keep topping it up with a bit more through the week. its easier to just get up in the morning and quickly comb the murrays than to put gel in and the gel doesnt last all day, the pomade can be re combed all day.
if i wash my hair 3 days in a row with shampoo all the murrays is gone, probably the same if i washed it 3 times in one shower.
just wondering why people would want to wash out all off the murrays out before it goes away itself, i am usually trying to get as many days as i can out of each load of pomade i pile in.
My mate reckons his dad used to use axle grease of his own front wheel bearings.
avatar
FCCOOL

Number of posts : 23
Reputation : 0
Points : 29
Registration date : 2009-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by Harry Palms on Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:45 pm

American Greaser Pomade Co it comes in 40wt and 90 but it depends on how ya wear it, slicked back, styled or whatever; to be honest i've even just run my greasy hands thru my hair then got the bugrake out ta slick it up cuz nuthin holds as good as grease and dirt.

Shit, i'm a Greaser so why not live true to ya calling in life.

Harry Palms

Number of posts : 76
Age : 50
Location : Working in my secret laboratory.
Reputation : 3
Points : 86
Registration date : 2008-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by leweydafly on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:02 pm

i just shave mine....... saves money and makes me streamlined Very Happy

Cheers

Mick Cool
avatar
leweydafly

Number of posts : 278
Age : 38
Location : Dandebong
Reputation : 2
Points : 104
Registration date : 2008-10-26

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/436504185

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by mudflap on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:53 am

leweydafly wrote:i just shave mine....... saves money and makes me streamlined Very Happy

Cheers

Mick Cool

me to but it's not about saving money or beinf streamlined, its just a pre-emptive thing Laughing
avatar
mudflap

Number of posts : 412
Age : 45
Location : In the shed
Reputation : 2
Points : 278
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by falzoony on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:59 am

I use Murrays it's good stuff and you get a few days use out of it!
avatar
falzoony

Number of posts : 120
Age : 27
Location : Adelaide
Reputation : 0
Points : 157
Registration date : 2009-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by hewey on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:43 pm

mudflap wrote:
leweydafly wrote:i just shave mine....... saves money and makes me streamlined Very Happy

me to but it's not about saving money or beinf streamlined, its just a pre-emptive thing Laughing

Ditto Razz
avatar
hewey

Number of posts : 412
Reputation : 26
Points : 442
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by leweydafly on Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:58 pm

hewey wrote:
mudflap wrote:
leweydafly wrote:i just shave mine....... saves money and makes me streamlined Very Happy

me to but it's not about saving money or beinf streamlined, its just a pre-emptive thing Laughing

Ditto Razz

Lol

Going by mum and dads hair i think i'll be going bald from the middle outwards so its semi pre-emptive for me to haha

Cheers

Mick Cool
avatar
leweydafly

Number of posts : 278
Age : 38
Location : Dandebong
Reputation : 2
Points : 104
Registration date : 2008-10-26

View user profile http://www.myspace.com/436504185

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by Harry Palms on Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:19 am

leweydafly wrote:
hewey wrote:
mudflap wrote:
leweydafly wrote:i just shave mine....... saves money and makes me streamlined Very Happy

me to but it's not about saving money or beinf streamlined, its just a pre-emptive thing Laughing

Ditto Razz

Lol

Going by mum and dads hair i think i'll be going bald from the middle outwards so its semi pre-emptive for me to haha

Cheers
Mick Cool



Geez... and your poor mum's going bald from the middle outwards?, too.

Harry Palms

Number of posts : 76
Age : 50
Location : Working in my secret laboratory.
Reputation : 3
Points : 86
Registration date : 2008-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by The Zed on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:52 am

I use American Crew (Fibre) Shapes well lasts for days and I don't wash my hair with shampoo only water.
Cheers The Zed....................
avatar
The Zed

Number of posts : 187
Age : 50
Location : Brisvegas
Reputation : 4
Points : 99
Registration date : 2008-10-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by 57buick on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:27 pm

I'm new to actually trying to get the hairstyle right, have let it grow out long on the top and kept the back and sides short. Just have a couple of questions:
1 - Is there any online site etc, showing how to do the different rockabilly type styles?
2 - Where do you get that pompade stuff from. I always thought you just used a ton of hair spray!
avatar
57buick

Number of posts : 44
Age : 43
Location : Frankston , Melbourne
Reputation : 0
Points : 56
Registration date : 2010-12-21

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/octopus7/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by andrew666 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi 57buick

This link might help you out:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=rockabilly+hairstyles+for+men&aq=f

Also, this might get you started with pomade:

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=active&site=&source=hp&q=buy+pomade&aq=f&aqi=g2g-m3&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=906cc73da050affb&safe=vss

andrew666

Number of posts : 266
Reputation : 4
Points : 700
Registration date : 2010-08-30

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by 57buick on Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Thanks a million andrew666!
I just bought some American greaser pomade from the states ($6.50) from a called the greaser shop.
http://www.thegreaseshop.com/servlet/the-Pomades/Categories
now just have to wait for it to arrive. might just use some wax in the mean time and have a bash at it!
avatar
57buick

Number of posts : 44
Age : 43
Location : Frankston , Melbourne
Reputation : 0
Points : 56
Registration date : 2010-12-21

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/octopus7/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by hewey on Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:46 pm

A mate of mine has started bringing in High Life Pomade to Australia, word is its the ducks guts Very Happy http://www.atomiclife.com.au/
avatar
hewey

Number of posts : 412
Reputation : 26
Points : 442
Registration date : 2008-11-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by Wolfman_Dan on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:00 am

I'v been using the High Life Pomade for a short while now ....
The stuff is pretty darn good! Has great hold and has a nice smell too it!

I previously have used the Murrays original and Murrays light combined. I did this because the Murrays light adds a great shine while the murrays original keeps the hold.

One which my barber keeps reccomending is Sweet Georgia Brown ..... still to try it properly
avatar
Wolfman_Dan

Number of posts : 5
Age : 35
Location : Sydney
Reputation : 0
Points : 4
Registration date : 2008-10-27

View user profile http://www.facebook.com/wolfmandan

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by 57buick on Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:26 am

Mine arrived in the mail today, got my hair all slicked up and really stoked with it's holding power. Just hoping I don't have to use the dishwashing liquid to wash it out though!
avatar
57buick

Number of posts : 44
Age : 43
Location : Frankston , Melbourne
Reputation : 0
Points : 56
Registration date : 2010-12-21

View user profile http://www.flickr.com/photos/octopus7/

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by PaulG on Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:58 am

Does High life do a water based pomade?

PaulG

Number of posts : 187
Reputation : 3
Points : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by High Life Pomade Aust. on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:57 am

It would be remiss of me not to add some comments to this thread. Thanks Hewey for mentioning it to me on Friday night.

My mate Ben and I (Squizy) have recently signed the Australian Distributorship rights for High Life Pomade US. We're gradually getting our name out there and moving some stock, doing market sales, websales, and hopefully some wholesale agreements in the future.

High Life was started by US Tattooist Adam Dorsett as few years ago after struggling to find some real old school style pomades, so he started to make his own.

High Life only make beeswax pomade, and not that stuff that washes out in water. Yeah it takes some washing out, but we also offer a shampoo degreaser too. If you want the real old school deal, High Life is the stuff.

It will wash out over a few days if you don't top it up, or as others have said, dishwashing liquid on dry hair will also help to strip it out. Once you have stripped it, make sure you shampoo and condition your hair after (cos you've got to look after those golden locks). You can still shampoo your hair every second day to keep your scalp clean, and still retain High Life in your hair.

The next day after adding it in you can give you hair a quick 10 sec hit with a hot blow dryer just to soften it up again, and then you can comb through. Personally, I can just comb my hair again when I get up, and I'm right for the day.

We're going to be sharing a stall with Sterling HQ up at the Lady Luck Weekend in January. So if you want a really cool fade cut from Tony, mixed up with some High Life, pop on into our stall.

You can order High Life through our website, or look out for us at some of the events listed on our website.

Peace and Grease.
Squiz...

www.atomiclife.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/High-Life-Pomade-Australia/160379607328218
avatar
High Life Pomade Aust.

Number of posts : 8
Location : Sydtiki
Reputation : 0
Points : 10
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.atomiclife.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by PaulG on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:53 am

Ive all but given up on the pomp and had the military cut for a while now. Seriously, my hair is that thick and strong, you gotta put that much in to get it to hold, even with murrays I gotta use quite a bit. Dont get me wrong, I can get a great pomp happening but with the amount of hair on my head and the length you need to get it right, its like working with......i can't think of any cool similarities but you get the point. The worst thing is sleeping it it afterwards, thats why I like layrite.....A solid pomp, no greasy pillow and washes out no fuss.....Just expensive!
Ive been meaning to catch up with Tony to see what he says as im sure he has the solution cause sure im not the only one with a mop like this!! Smile Ill book in for a cut at Lady Luck and then ill buy a tub of Highlife to top off the day... Wink
Meanwhile ill try to stay away from the barbers until then Laughing

PaulG

Number of posts : 187
Reputation : 3
Points : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by mudflap on Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:28 am

High Life Pomade Aust. wrote:It would be remiss of me not to add some comments to this thread. Thanks Hewey for mentioning it to me on Friday night.

My mate Ben and I (Squizy) have recently signed the Australian Distributorship rights for High Life Pomade US. We're gradually getting our name out there and moving some stock, doing market sales, websales, and hopefully some wholesale agreements in the future.

High Life was started by US Tattooist Adam Dorsett as few years ago after struggling to find some real old school style pomades, so he started to make his own.

High Life only make beeswax pomade, and not that stuff that washes out in water. Yeah it takes some washing out, but we also offer a shampoo degreaser too. If you want the real old school deal, High Life is the stuff.

It will wash out over a few days if you don't top it up, or as others have said, dishwashing liquid on dry hair will also help to strip it out. Once you have stripped it, make sure you shampoo and condition your hair after (cos you've got to look after those golden locks). You can still shampoo your hair every second day to keep your scalp clean, and still retain High Life in your hair.

The next day after adding it in you can give you hair a quick 10 sec hit with a hot blow dryer just to soften it up again, and then you can comb through. Personally, I can just comb my hair again when I get up, and I'm right for the day.

We're going to be sharing a stall with Sterling HQ up at the Lady Luck Weekend in January. So if you want a really cool fade cut from Tony, mixed up with some High Life, pop on into our stall.

You can order High Life through our website, or look out for us at some of the events listed on our website.

Peace and Grease.
Squiz...

www.atomiclife.com.au
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/High-Life-Pomade-Australia/160379607328218

Thanks for the flyer Friday night Sqiz um I dont have enough hair so I passed it on to Paul Laughing
avatar
mudflap

Number of posts : 412
Age : 45
Location : In the shed
Reputation : 2
Points : 278
Registration date : 2008-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by PaulG on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:22 am

I didnt even know anyone from Highlife was there until I was leaving and found a brochure on my windscreen.... What a Face


PaulG

Number of posts : 187
Reputation : 3
Points : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by High Life Pomade Aust. on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:13 am

PaulG wrote:I didnt even know anyone from Highlife was there until I was leaving and found a brochure on my windscreen.... What a Face


We'll keep less of a low profile next time around. :-)
avatar
High Life Pomade Aust.

Number of posts : 8
Location : Sydtiki
Reputation : 0
Points : 10
Registration date : 2010-11-26

View user profile http://www.atomiclife.com.au

Back to top Go down

Re: Pomade...What ya using?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum