Rockabilly & Kustom Kulture Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aussie rockabilly different from the rest.

5 posters

Go down

Aussie rockabilly different from the rest. Empty Aussie rockabilly different from the rest.

Post by My Little Rockabilly Kat Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:13 am

I have never been to the states but after today i was thinking how do everyday people treat the rockabilly folk over there? on the gold coast..i guess we are rare and the way people stare and handle things is just..a bit embarressing really..i got a few comments, mostly positive..(damn being called betty boop) but when people are staring pointing and laughing you can't help but feel a little..self concious. My mum said, what if you got all your friends and walked through a shopping centre..i thought yeh that would be hilarious!!!, just for kicks, and i wouldn't feel so odd.
Going out with friends, the guys get told they are..james dean. brian setzer..elvis..the fonz..stepped out of happy days..cry baby movie lookalike.
Most people just ask, "why do you bother?"... what???, why do i bother brushing my hair? and taking care of my appearance, just because you don't..you can't ask why do i bother..i find it rude!!
But i do like talking about it, just to laugh and share stories with other people exchanging experiences whilst being out in public.
I helped out a shop who couldn't understand why the rockabilly people weren't buying the products they had available in every size..because most people that dress this way..want one off vintage pieces..handmade items..they have a thing for DIY..and mainly girls (but i know some guys) don't want to go to a show and see someone else wearing the same thing as you..i know for a fact the girls all get excited months before wintersun/greazefest is on, planning how they are to do there hair and what to wear.
If a shop was called 'Punk Shop' would punks go there? or 'goth shop'..im not sure..i dont think the die hard everyday wearing people would..because most likely that shop stocks mass produced items that are expensive.
I like looking at all the girls on myspace in the states..and discovering the all the different forms of 'rockabilly'
'BILLY' has been busy Smile i will list some..from pictures ive found..just via google images.its all so cool i think!
Not yet have alot of them landed here..i know alot of people dont put themselves in a category. so i have just put a whole heap of random photos i have found..you choose where they belong..
Man the urban dictionary is a laugh cherry maybe give your definition..

enjoy a random read..love katabilly..hahahaha cherry

Rockabilly

A music and fashion subculture started in the mid-late seventies in the UK. Seventies teenagers developed their own dress code based on 1950s American Juvenile Delinquent novels and Hot Rod B-movies.
Puttin distance between themselves and the older "Teddy Boys" who attended the same clubs and dances at the time.
Their taste in music was for the more primitive hillbilly-rock hybrid "rockabilly" that kicked off in the mid fifties at the same time as its more succesful and commercial sibling - "rock and roll".
The rockabilly scene still exists today.
He must be a rockabilly, his turn-ups are huge!

Hellbilly

A real badass hillbilly. The typical Hellbilly drinks hard liquor, smokes weed, is fond of cussing and doing things many folks would call blasphemy, gets into fights often due to a don't fuck with me attitude, packs a gun, has tattoos, has a general disregard for authority, loves driving pick up trucks down muddy roads, and is hell-bent on living life to the fullest and doesn't care what people think. Often listens to or plays Country and Death Metal. See Hank III for an example

Punkabilly

punkabilly 9 up, 8 down
A fusion of contemporary punk and rockabilly.
Often confused with psychobilly, a long dead (regardless of what some Tiger Army kiddies will tell you) British offshoot of rockabilly and trash.
Punkabilly is more of a good time, rockin' sound, sometimes with some elements of swing or jazz thrown in.
The Kings Of Nuthin' sure are one hard rockin' punkabilly band!

Gothabilly

Gothabilly comes from a blending of Gothic and Rockabilly. The earliest use of the word Gothabilly was by The Cramps in the late 70s who used it to describe their own blend of somber, Rockabilly influenced punk. Since then the term has come to describe a fashion trend in the Gothic subculture.
This is the interbreeding of Goth’s black silks, satins, lace and velvet with Country-Western elements like cowboy hats and boots, handkerchiefs, western shirts and bolo ties. Through in some elements from the retro culture revival, including stylized flames, 50s tattoo imagery and street-rods of every sort and you see where the aesthetic is heading. The current use of Gothabilly include both it’s fashion and music implications.

Hillbilly
Often used as an insult and racial slur against White folks who live in the country. A hillbilly is a person who lives in a remote, rural area in the South, often in the Appalachian (Or sometimes Ozark) Mountains and therefore is isolated and somewhat out of touch with modern culture.

The stereotype of a hillbilly is a person who: Is a White Southerner who owns a shotgun, goes barefoot, wears a worn out floppy hat, drinks moonshine and whiskey which he makes himself, plays the banjo or fiddle, drives old beat up pick up trucks, has bad teeth, is poorly educated, has long a beard, wears worn out clothes and hand me downs, and is happy and content with what they have.

Just because someone is a hillbilly doesn't mean that they fit the hillbilly stereotype listed above.
Apocryphal attribution to isolated denizens of Appalachian Mountains,(Eastern USA) descendants of some of the earliest Scotch-English settlers, who seem to have had some proclivity for naming their children "William" (familiarly "Bill")and some not inconsiderable inclination to incestuous sexual congress. More recently, the term is used to describe any rural resident,especially in the Southern USA and particularly those living in rather rough-hewn conditions, embracing noticably parochial ideologies and a generally hostile attitude.
When the hillbillies moved into the trailer park, they maintained their habits of firing off their revolvers at odd hours and cohabiting with their livestock.

Psychobilly
An eclectic genre of music- a combination of rockabilly, horror punk, punk, goth rock, blues, and bluegrass- mixed with other elements as well. Psychos can be identified by their unnatural, perverse love of old b-rated horror films and their rocking sense of style.
"It's a psychobilly freakout!"- Reverend Horton Heat Psychobilly is what evolved when rockabilly (thought to have been originally invented by either Carl Perkins or Elvis Presley, being hillbilly style rock and roll) met punk. The band who coined the term was The Meteors, one member being of the punk subculture, one of the rockabilly subculture and the third being an extreme horror movie fan. They are an example of the psychobilly trio (bass, guitar, drums). Psychobilly is strictly a-political (no political references) and is characterised to use stand up bass (also called the double bass). Psychobilly kids are characterised to dress like greasers/punks, have a psychobilly quif (shaved at the back and the sides), a pompador, or a horshoe quif (where a piece in the middle is shaved making it into a horshoe shape when looked at at birdseye view) and are usually covered in tattoos. The girls commonly look like a punkified version of Betty Page or other comon 50's icons. Psychobilly has a strong link with vintage horror movies. Zombies are also closely linked with the psychobilly culture, with many of it's members desperately wanting to be zombies. A lot of pschobilly kids are said to be dirty or greasy, this, however, is often not true.

Aussie rockabilly different from the rest. 507220473_936f6cb0ee
Aussie rockabilly different from the rest. Fs378006
Aussie rockabilly different from the rest. 2781490920_52e2bf29c6_o
Aussie rockabilly different from the rest. HELLBILLY

Aussie rockabilly different from the rest. Viva20Las20Vegas20Wedding2
My Little Rockabilly Kat
My Little Rockabilly Kat
Admin

Number of posts : 680
Registration date : 2008-10-23

https://rockabillyaustralia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Aussie rockabilly different from the rest. Empty Re: Aussie rockabilly different from the rest.

Post by mysteriousdeucedave Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:01 pm

Yeah i know on occasions i've had people yell out 'oh look its elvis' but they yell it like its a bad thing, then other people will say 'oh my god you look so cool'. of course there is always gunna be people that cant accept how you look, they are generally the people that follow every different fashion trend like sheep and for the most part have no real sense of personal style at all. Its different when ive been in a larger group too, people look but are less game to say anything. I find that for the most part other types of "alternative" people are more accepting of my sense of style
I wouldn't put myself in one particular style name i dont think, i like rockabilly, punkabilly and psychobilly, as well as other parts of the rest, yet i dont really fit any particular one
if you look at stereotypical definitions the rockabilly's tend to have the vintage clothes, or the sort of country style, the traditional rockabilly style, like elvis and carl perkins etc
the psychobilly's have the tattoos, and skulls nekromatic type stuff, and black hair often with multicoloured bits in it, as do the gothabilly's etc, its also common place to see plenty of piercings
i sort of take a few things from all of them, some vintage clothes, some skulls etc, but i dont have tattoos or peircings, so really i would not fit any of these stereotypical definitions
there are so many names to choose from, you also have greaser and rocker and all those associated names, its hard to label yourself as one or the other
i just do what i like, wear what i feel like wearing, listen to the music i feel like listening too, like the cars i like, i dont mind not fitting one particular label,
it all comes down to personal point of view too, every different person will look at someone else and have a different idea of what to call them
whatever your style is, its still really funny to just walk around a shopping centre or something and see all the "normal" people just look at you, i guess it would be the same all around the world
mysteriousdeucedave
mysteriousdeucedave
Admin

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-10-24

Back to top Go down

Aussie rockabilly different from the rest. Empty Re: Aussie rockabilly different from the rest.

Post by Kid Setzer Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 pm

The funniest thing was a friend of mine who goes to Uni with me looks like she's stepped straight out of the 50's everyday.. actually I dont think I've ever seen her WITHOUT red lipstick.. anyway we were doing a drama class and one of the scenes in our up coming play was set in the 50's.. Haha our lecturer said to my friend 'Oh could you wear your costume again next week for the scene?'.. Like he always thought she just liked wearing a 'costume' everyday!.. Anyway, I thought it was hilarious - my friend, not so much Razz
Kid Setzer
Kid Setzer

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2008-11-13

http://www.myspace.com/kidsetzer

Back to top Go down

Post by leweydafly Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:19 am

I dont fit into any genre, unless plain is a genre lol. I dont wear 50's clothes, or have a quiff or any of that sorta syle. I love my old cars and i love my rockabilly but you wouldn't know by looking at me. I think its sad that people point and stare and laugh when someone is wearing something different to the norm. I love it, if we all wore the same stuff it would be a very boring world. All the different sub cultures and the effort people put in to look that way is awesome. Would rather see that than a bunch of 50 cent wannabees walking with a crunk limp.

The only people i find my self laughing at are emos Laughing Laughing Laughing Stupid fringes Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers

Mick Cool

ps. while i wrote this i was wearing years old puma factry seconds trackies, socks with my toes poking out and a t shirt with an army helmet on itthat says 'always wear protection' Laughing Laughing .........that may make me a hillbilly Razz
leweydafly
leweydafly

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-10-26

http://www.myspace.com/436504185

Back to top Go down

Post by Drea Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:42 am

Kid Setzer wrote:The funniest thing was a friend of mine who goes to Uni with me looks like she's stepped straight out of the 50's everyday.. actually I dont think I've ever seen her WITHOUT red lipstick.. anyway we were doing a drama class and one of the scenes in our up coming play was set in the 50's.. Haha our lecturer said to my friend 'Oh could you wear your costume again next week for the scene?'.. Like he always thought she just liked wearing a 'costume' everyday!.. Anyway, I thought it was hilarious - my friend, not so much Razz

Penelope? Yes? Very Happy

Drea

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Setzer Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:04 pm

Drea wrote:
Kid Setzer wrote:The funniest thing was a friend of mine who goes to Uni with me looks like she's stepped straight out of the 50's everyday.. actually I dont think I've ever seen her WITHOUT red lipstick.. anyway we were doing a drama class and one of the scenes in our up coming play was set in the 50's.. Haha our lecturer said to my friend 'Oh could you wear your costume again next week for the scene?'.. Like he always thought she just liked wearing a 'costume' everyday!.. Anyway, I thought it was hilarious - my friend, not so much Razz

Penelope? Yes? Very Happy

Haha! Yeahhhhhh Very Happy
Kid Setzer
Kid Setzer

Back to top Go down

Post by My Little Rockabilly Kat Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:55 pm

that wouldn't be penelope that was looking after the kitten katwalk ay? she is going to model for me soon
My Little Rockabilly Kat
My Little Rockabilly Kat
Admin

Number of posts : 680
Registration date : 2008-10-23

https://rockabillyaustralia.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Setzer Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:03 pm

My Little Rockabilly wrote:that wouldn't be penelope that was looking after the kitten katwalk ay? she is going to model for me soon

No don't think so - also known as Texas Tuppence or just Pene Very Happy
Kid Setzer
Kid Setzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Drea Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:07 pm

My Little Rockabilly wrote:that wouldn't be penelope that was looking after the kitten katwalk ay? she is going to model for me soon

Nopers.

Drea

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down